Love the LORD thy GOD 2 (22-02-2015)
By Lungisa Joctrey
Today’s message is based on Deuteronomy 6:4-5 “Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy GOD with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.” It is a sequel to last week’s message. It focuses on the grace of God that has been shown to the people Israel because of the covenant which God had made with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob their fathers.
The children of Israel did not merit their salvation out of the hand of the Egyptians but it was due to the grace of God and to the oath that God had made to Abraham in Genesis 15:1-21, saying:
- “1 After these things the word of the Lord came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.
- 2 And Abram said, Lord God, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus?
- 3 And Abram said, Behold, to me thou hast given no seed: and, lo, one born in my house is mine heir.
- 4 And, behold, the word of the Lord came unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir.
- 5 And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be.
- 6 And he believed in the Lord; and he counted it to him for righteousness.
- 7 And he said unto him, I am the Lord that brought thee out of Ur of the Chaldees, to give thee this land to inherit it.
- 8 And he said, Lord God, whereby shall I know that I shall inherit it?
- 9 And he said unto him, Take me an heifer of three years old, and a she goat of three years old, and a ram of three years old, and a turtledove, and a young pigeon.
- 10 And he took unto him all these, and divided them in the midst, and laid each piece one against another: but the birds divided he not.
- 11 And when the fowls came down upon the carcases, Abram drove them away.
- 12 And when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell upon Abram; and, lo, an horror of great darkness fell upon him.
- 13 And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years;
- 14 And also that nation, whom they shall serve, will I judge: and afterward shall they come out with great substance.
- 15 And thou shalt go to thy fathers in peace; thou shalt be buried in a good old age.
- 16 But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full.
- 17 And it came to pass, that, when the sun went down, and it was dark, behold a smoking furnace, and a burning lamp that passed between those pieces.
- 18 In the same day the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates:
- 19 The Kenites, and the Kenizzites, and the Kadmonites,
- 20 And the Hittites, and the Perizzites, and the Rephaims,
- 21 And the Amorites, and the Canaanites, and the Girgashites, and the Jebusites.”
“Moreover God had sworn by himself that He would bless Abraham in Genesis 22:16-18,
- “16 And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the Lord, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son:
- 17 That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;
- 18 And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.”
God confirmed the oath with Isaac.
“2 And the Lord appeared unto him, and said, Go not down into Egypt; dwell in the land which I shall tell thee of:
3 Sojourn in this land, and I will be with thee, and will bless thee; for unto thee, and unto thy seed, I will give all these countries, and I will perform the oath which I sware unto Abraham thy father;
4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;
5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.”
God again confirmed the oath to Jacob in Genesis 28:12-14
- “12 And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven: and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it.
- 13 And, behold, the Lord stood above it, and said, I am the Lord God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac: the land whereon thou liest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed;
- 14 And thy seed shall be as the dust of the earth, and thou shalt spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south: and in thee and in thy seed shall all the families of the earth be blessed.”
GOD ALMIGHTY kept His word and the oath which He had made to the fathers of the Israelites. The Israelites inherited the promise land despite their murmuring, stiffnecks and continued testing of God’s patience. Many fell in wilderness because of unbelief and many inherited the promise land because of the grace and the faithfulness of God in keeping the oath by which He swore to their fathers to give them and their seed that good land.