Love the LORD thy GOD (15-02-2015)
by Lungisa Joctrey
The greatest and the most important commandment is, “Thou shalt love the LORD thy GOD with all thy heart and with all thy soul and with all thy might”(Deuteronomy 6:5). This message is based on loving God. It also speaks strongly against astrology, Valentine’s Day and other kinds of idolatry. Follow us on twitter @lnjoctrey or @thespokes_dude
We must always bear in mind that God hates idolatry and that he promises that all idolaters will go to the lake that burns with fire and brimstone
- (Revelation 21:8).
“But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and IDOLATERS, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
He told the children of Israel not to make idols and that they should not worship them.
- (Exodus 20:3-6)
- “3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
- 4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
- 5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
- 6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments”
God doesn’t want his children to do what the heathens or the unbelievers do.
- (Leviticus 18:3)
- “3 After the doings of the land of Egypt, wherein ye dwelt, shall ye not do: and after the doings of the land of Canaan, whither I bring you, shall ye not do: neither shall ye walk in their ordinances.
- 4 Ye shall do my judgments, and keep mine ordinances, to walk therein: I am the Lord your God.
- 5 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes, and my judgments: which if a man do, he shall live in them: I am the Lord.”
Christians are commanded in the New Testament:
- (Romans 12:1-2)
- “1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
- 2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.”
There is no question that Valentine’s Day, Christmas day, Halloween, Easter and New Year’s day have strong pagan roots and the true believers in the Lord Jesus Christ must refrain from such. God teaches us, that is to say, those who belong to Him not adhere to the customs of the heathens.
- (Jeremiah 10:1-8)
- “1 Hear ye the word which the Lord speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:
- 2 Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
- 3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
- 4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.
- 5 They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.
- 6 Forasmuch as there is none like unto thee, O Lord; thou art great, and thy name is great in might.
- 7 Who would not fear thee, O King of nations? for to thee doth it appertain: forasmuch as among all the wise men of the nations, and in all their kingdoms, there is none like unto thee.
- 8 But they are altogether brutish and foolish: the stock is a doctrine of vanities.”
The purpose of this message is to warn and try to convince those who are inclined in learning and practicing pagan worship to refrain from such and also to repent from all forms of idolatry.